Saturday, August 13, 2011

It's the Little Things in Life.






These are a few of the little things that I am grateful for this morning:

  • The riots seem to have stopped and people here are talking about what led up to them (obviously, this is not so little).
  • Our rented home is coming along nicely, thanks to my handy-man/artist husband.
  • We now get a weekly organic fruit and veg delivery from Abel & Cole; it's like opening up a Christmas parcel every Friday morning.
  • My girls are happy and healthy, and soaking up this experience.
  • Public library systems all over the world, which let us continue our reading pursuits absolutely free.
  • Speaking of free, the website freecycle, which lets you offer, find, trade items for free, thereby keeping more things out of the landfills. Just got Greta a lovely new desk here, and it was even delivered to us for free.
  • My new Brita water filter jug, because I just couldn't get used to the taste of the water here, and I was really thirsty.
  • My brilliant idea to put a spare duvet under the fitted sheet on our bed, creating a pillow-top effect to our otherwise painfully springy mattress- what a difference! Wish that I had thought of that 3 weeks ago.
  • Having internet access to be able to stay connected to friends and family back home.
Sometimes I need to be reminded of how important the little things can be- duly noted, and I am most grateful.

2 comments:

hollyd said...

This weekend I witnessed the miracle of:
vacuum cleaner
3.8 in physiology
Goodwill (they accept truckloads of donations at a time!)
Sounders match with friends, followed by relaxing dinner with real conversation.

I miss you guys tons. I totally hankered for a visit to your house for coffee this morning...

I saw that I missed a FaceTime with you guys...try again soon!

xoxo

Jennifer Duval said...

Yes, a good vacuum cleaner can be miraculous, can't it?

Excellent job on your Physiology course, well done.

You know I love The Goodwill, and I became a true regular there before this trip, clearing out the house for our renters. But when I read your comment, all I could think was "Oh no, I wish we could have had all of Hol's household donations for this house!"

Sounders game sounds like fun, raise a beer to us at the next one. :)

And we miss you tons, too, truly. Will keep trying to reach you. Big hugs!