Friday, October 7, 2011

The Design Museum



Well, I better do some blogging while I still have some free time on my hands. :)
This week was rather special to Steven and me because Wednesday was our 20th wedding Anniversary. Honestly, it doesn't feel like we've been married that long, but I suppose everyone says that. It's just that I can remember that day on the Cape, and all of the feelings that I had at that time, and it doesn't seem possible that twenty years of our lives have flown by since then. Ah, but I wax nostalgic...

Anyway, to celebrate such a momentous milestone, we are going to Italy for a week during the girls' half-term. And to celebrate on the actual day, Steven and I headed to the Design Museum and for lunch at the lovely restaurant upstairs, The Blue Print Cafe. It was such a grown-up day out, and we had that kind of weird glow that you get when you're really happy and so everyone knows you're really happy and they can't help smiling back. We are most certainly not always like that (would be kind of sickening if we were), but this day was special. A nice gentleman in his pinstripe suit (I would say that 99% of men who work in London offices wear suits) offered to take our photo by the Tower Bridge, so this is us just before lunch.



The Design Museum had a cool exhibit titled "Making Britain Modern," in which there were all these examples of Kodak cameras and Kenwood mixers from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, so it was fun to recognize products from our childhoods. And there was another exhibit called "This Is Design," which featured multiple street signs and other iconic images, which was right up Steven's alley. His keyboard US flag could totally have been displayed there!





The Blue Print Cafe is a lovely restaurant with amazing views along the Thames and out to the Tower Bridge. We were some of the first ones there, as folks here definitely seem to lunch a bit later (typically not before 1pm), so we were seated at one of the best tables in the house. And I had found a deal (you know me, always the deal hunter!) for entrance to the Museum with a two-course lunch and wine at the restaurant, which wasn't advertised on the menu but was a great savings. It was a wonderful day out and a great anniversary.




1 comment:

Ali said...

Jenny, I remember that day on the Cape like yesterday too, you in your princess dress floating down the hillside to meet Steven, who was about to pass out with nerves! I'm not surprised you had many smiles on your day 20 years later! You both radiate love still! Happy anniversary! A