Saturday, October 1, 2011

First Week of School

Well, I've finally had the time to sit down and write about the first week of school! The first day Mom wrote a bit about, but it wasn't too intimidating as I'd been there already for a tour of the school, choosing my classes, etc. Once we arrived, I had to do math and science tests to see where I was at before I could get my timetable and get to my classes. They paired me up with someone in my tutor group (like a homeroom) to show me where to go for my classes and such.

Socially wise, it was no trouble at all being the "new kid!" Being American is a big advantage- I was asked so many times this week why I moved here: "Why would you come to England? America is so much better." It was also entertaining to hear peoples' versions of an American accent. Overall, everyone was very nice and welcoming, including the teachers (whom you call "Miss" and "Sir"). I met some really nice girls, who've been showing me the ropes of school here. I already got invited to hang out outside of school, and it's so nice just to have people to sit with at lunch or partner with on a class project.

And while I have quite a bit of work to catch up on, I am really enjoying my classes. It's a bit annoying because everyone is working towards their GCSE's, which are the exams they will take next year to get into college, and I won't be here for that. Nevertheless, it's good practice to be taking tests and doing practice problems- on Wednesday I had to take an English exam and even though my teacher said it was just practice for me, it was scary sitting in the exam hall for two hours with rows and rows of desks- definitely wasn't like that at SGS...

Besides English, Science, etc. I'm taking Religious Studies, History, French, and Visual Arts. French is very hard, seeing as I've never taken it before and everyone else in the class has been learning French for four years, but I'm getting the hang of it. History is interesting, and right now we're studying World War II which I did in 7th grade, so that isn't too challenging. I also like Religious Studies, and, of course, Visual Arts. I think the toughest subjects for me are French and Math, both of which the students are ahead of what I have already learned.

I'm so relieved that I'm a) in school, and b) it's going so well. And thanks for all the well wishes- it is so great to stay in touch through the blog.

More soon- Franny's birthday is today, and she chose to go on the London Eye for a birthday treat!

1 comment:

The Dahls said...

We are all so glad that you are enjoying school. Keep posting, and tell Franny happy birthday for us!